5 Necessities When Preparing Your Lawn for the Summer
Posted on 04-04-2017
As the weather gets warmer, it’s time to start thinking about lawn care. A beautiful lawn makes summer that much better. There are many ways to start preparing your lawn to be as healthy as possible – even before the hot weather hits. Here are some of the bare necessities for preparing and maintaining a gorgeous yard all summer long.
- Aerate Aerating your lawn allows air to reach the roots of your grass, enriching it with nutrients and moisture. It is recommended to aerate your lawn once every 1 to 3 years to avoid soil compaction and to create a vibrant, lush garden. You can aerate your lawn using a lawn rake, or you can even purchase aerating “shoes.” Aerating your lawn is an easy way to make sure your grass grows in green and luscious.
- Rake Raking your lawn before the grass comes in is a great way to remove any debris or thatch – decaying plant material. Thatch can block your grass roots from receiving sunlight, water and other vital nutrients. This can make your grass grow poorly or unevenly. You can rake in the spring, but if you want to be extra prepared, be sure to rake in late autumn after all the leaves have fallen.
- Fertilize Fertilizer supplements the nutrients in your grass and helps it grow in healthy. To help your grass grow, apply fertilizer twice a year during peak lawn growth seasons. There are several different types of fertilizer available, so be sure to research and figure out which kind is best for your lawn.
- Sprinklers As the temperatures climb, your lawn can dry out – especially if you live somewhere with plenty of dry periods in the summer. Figuring out the best sprinkler system for your lawn will ensure your grass stays hydrated. It’s important to take many things into consideration when setting up sprinklers to ensure your lawn is getting enough water, and that you’re being as water-conservative and environmentally-friendly as possible. For instance, watering your lawn at night means that more water will be absorbed by the ground, rather than evaporating in the daytime heat.
- Mow Maintain your beautiful, healthy lawn throughout the summer by mowing regularly. Not only does this keep your lawn looking neat and tidy, it also promotes healthy grass growth. By staying on top of your lawn preparation and maintenance, you can ensure a green, lush lawn all summer long!